Fragmin® (dalteparin sodium)
What is Fragmin and what is it used for?
Fragmin is a solution for injection and it belongs to a group of medicines called low molecular weight heparins (LMWH) or antithrombotics. These medicines help prevent the formation of blood clots by thinning the blood.
Venous thromboembolism (VTE) is a condition where blood clots develop in the legs (deep vein thrombosis, DVT) or the lungs (pulmonary embolism, PE), e.g. after surgery, prolonged bed rest or in patients with certain types of cancer.
Fragmin can be used in many different conditions:
- To prevent blood clots (venous thromboembolism) forming before and after an operation or if you are bedridden due to illness and to prevent their recurrence
- Prevention of deep vein thrombosis in patients bedridden due to a medical condition but not limited to, for example heart failure and respiratory failure
- To treat blood clots and to prevent their recurrence
- To treat blood clots in certain types of cancer and prevent recurrence
- Fragmin may be used to treat a condition known as unstable angina and non-Q wave myocardial infraction (unstable coronary artery disease) in patients who are taking aspirin
- Fragmin may be used in patients having haemodialysis or haemofiltration. Fragmin prevents blood clots being formed in the tubes of the equipment
Fragmin is a Prescription Only Medicine.
If you would like to see the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) or Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC) for Fragmin these can be found at the electronic Medicines Compendium (eMC).
PP-FRA-GBR-0311 / October 2021